Thursday, June 5, 2008

Renaisannce Man - Todd Bordeaux (Lakota)

I first met Todd at the Heard Indian Museum Fair and Market in 2007. I remember being strictly focused on finding "new" work by artists I either hadn't seen or dealt with before. Todd was both. Being pushed and prodded - which, after all, is the custom at the Heard - I had barely enough time to grab a card and exclaim my appreciation for his work. I didn't know if he would remember me, but two weeks later when I got an email from "Lakota Shadows," I was delighted to think we might start working together.

It was Todd's encouragement that lead me to the Northern Plains Indian Art Market in Sioux Falls, South Dakota later that year. An underrated show to be sure, I was thrilled with the caliber of the artists present, and managed to walk away with the majority of the award-winners that weekend, including Todd's Best of Class (Fine Art), titled "Victory at Greasy Grass."


This beautiful ledger recaptures the past and forges into the future by combining ledger art with beadwork applique. Todd is the only artist I know of working in this manner, but his ingenuity doesn't stop there. He is well known for his humorous and satirical "Indian Time" bracelets, made from a shiny Timex shell, without its parts. Instead of hands that keep track of hours and minutes, Todd's "watch" presents a myriad of colors and dimensions, allowing both the wearer and admirer the opportunity to get lost in Indian time.

Most recently, Todd delivered a custom Buffalo knife - fashioned in the traditional manner, but adorned in a contemporary fashion with inlaid mammoth ivory and crushed pipe stone. This, he says, is taking crafts, and other ethnographic material, to the next level.

Don't be surprised to see Todd's work appearing in upcoming publications and important collections. As an advocate for Native peoples, Todd recently had the pleasure of meeting former US President Bill Clinton. Along with his political advocacy, when Todd isn't busy dreaming up new creations, you can find him working on his home in rural South Dakota, or preparing for the traditional Lakota Sun Dance where he not only participates but helps coordinate and officiate.

No comments: